Thursday 1 February 2018

Chicken Diaries - A sad case of chicken cannabalism

Poor Snowy. She had a prolapsed cloaca again but this time I wasn't home and she was pecked to death by the other chickens. The worst part was, my daughter had gone out to check the chickens and found her droopy and dying, and went over to pick her up and the chickens came and mauled the chicken in front of her whilst she was holding her. I had dropped the kids home for a few minutes and gone to pick something up but when I got back both kids were screaming and in tears, the poor things, clutching a dead chicken, with her intestines all pulled out.

Anyway, I buried the chicken and comforted the teary kids, and talked about death and dying. The kids kinda knew about that already, but now they had seen it first hand. They were upset at the other chickens, but I told them that the chickens can't help it, it's instinct to peck at red things.

I buried Snowy in the front yard. I hope no dog comes digging her up in the middle of the night.

I also saw she had laid an egg today. That fateful egg. The egg that killed her. The kids wanted to keep the egg as a memory, and I will have to go find a syringe and needle so I can keep the egg for them.

Thinking of you, Snowy! You weren't the most friendly chicken (so I'm surprised the kids were so sad) but you were loved by everyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment